Online Intercultural Awareness & Effectiveness trainingBuild understanding between cultures & unleash the potential present in the tension between them.
Intercultural Awareness Training
Cultural differences have an increasing effect on the succes of organizations. We live in ever changing environments that require managers to work with and leverage cultural differences. Our online course is specifically tailored to managers and executives that are willing to invest in 4 separate 3-hour sessions.
Based on our extensive experience with training, coaching and mediating conflict within international organizations such as the European Space Agency we see intercultural awareness and skills as key in dealing with cultural differences at the workplace.
We combine hard, scientifically validated, models with the latest developments in social science research, and we provide training, executive coaching and mediation. We practice what we preach. To enhance our services and training capabilities we incorporated the Deep Democracy approach into our training programs in 2018.
About the training
Since 2014 intercultural awareness is an integral part of our curriculum. Initially based mainly on Hofstede’s 5-D model (later 6-D model). Hofstede’s model looks at individual vs. collective cultures, power distance (low vs. high), masculine vs. feminine cultures, uncertainty avoidance (low vs. high), long term vs. short term orientation and indulgence vs. restraint.
Since 2018 the training is primarily based on Erin Meyer’s 8 dimensions of the Culture Map, which is explicitly focusing on international organizations
- Communicating: explicit vs. implicit
- Evaluating: direct negative feedback vs. indirect negative feedback
- Persuading: deductive vs. inductive
- Leading: egalitarian vs. hierarchical
- Deciding: consensual vs. top down
- Trusting: task vs. relationship
- Disagreeing: confrontational vs. avoid confrontation
- Scheduling: structured vs. flexible
I was very impressed. I hope the course becomes mandatory in our organisation.International Participant
Timetable for the lesson blocks
• To appreciate working with different cultures through sharing successful interactions and learning from those
• To become aware of own judgments, assumptions and use of stereotypes and realize that is ‘normal’ and that it is important to make these implicit patterns more explicit
A. Introduction and telling success stories
B. What is culture and introduction to national cultures
Lecture, group presentation, interviews (pairs).
• To have been introduced to the Culture Map and get a deeper insight in the 8 dimensions
• To have gained insight on national differences using the Country Map
A. The Culture Map: 8 Dimensions that represent key areas that workers must be aware of
B. The Country Map
Lecture, individual exercise, group work, group presentation.
• To have looked at countries culture map and be able to place oneself in relation to other on each of the 8 dimensions
• To identify strategies and necessary skills for dealing with these differences in a constructive manner
• To have reflected on the organization culture of ESA
A. Individual Profiles
B. Organisation Culture
Lecture, group assignment, quiz
• To be able to recognize when people are not heard and disappear into the undercurrent
• To deal in a constructive manner with different perspectives and realize the wisdom in the “NO” using Deep Democracy concepts and steps
• To have worked on own cases and be able to use the right strategies to deal with individual challenges
• To have identified main areas for improvement and be able to take specific actions
A. Deep Democracy
B. Topics of choice: Feedback, Cases, NVC
C. Personal actions and Closure
Lecture, soft shoe shuffle, real life case
Interested in this course?Register today to assure yourself of a seat.
Training outline & objectives
- To develop awareness about cultural differences and how these differences impact daily interaction, communication and collaboration
- To be able to shift in your style to accommodate other’s expectations, as well as shift in your expectations to accommodate other’s styles
- To identify your own profile related to each of the 8 cultural dimensions that impact cross-cultural relationships
- To identify strategies and necessary skills for dealing with these differences in a constructive manner
- To practice skills to include all perspectives using Deep Democracy techniques
- To practice skills and strategies using own cases from the workplace